About South Dakota Food Stamps Program
The purpose of the South Dakota Food Stamps Program is to enable the people and families buy food items on a consistent basis. The program was formerly recognized as “food stamp, ” but now it has received a name by the government to make it more meaningful. The new name of the food stamps is Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. The amount that of benefits that a household or person receives depends on the size of the household and the current income, resources and the expenses of the household. Once the applicant is identified as an eligible candidate for the SNAP program, he will be able to get an EBT card which will be loaded with the benefits each month. The household will also be able to view the remaining benefit amount online from this link. This program is operated under the USDA requirements.
Eligibility Requirements For South Dakota SNAP Program
If you wish to start receiving the South Dakota Food Stamps Program benefits, then you will first have to ensure that you are eligible to receive the benefits. For that purpose, the state has very clear directions on the eligibility determination for the families and individuals. To know if you can qualify for the food benefits in South Dakota, you can also use the SNAP Online Pre-Screening Tool to find out if you meet the certain eligibility requirements that the state has for the applicants. Now, let’s take a brief look at the general requirements of this program without which one just cannot be eligible for the benefits.
The applicant needs to be a South Dakota resident and must also be a citizen of the United States or a qualified alien. This is the first and the most basic requirement to apply for the South Dakota SNAP Program. If you are not a South Dakota resident and living in another state, then you need to apply for that state’s SNAP program. Remember that every state has its SNAP program with different eligibility requirements.
Income And Resources Requirements
You need to have the current bank balance at or less than $2,001 if you are a regular household. Regular household means that no household member is over 60 years of age or with any disability. For the households or families that have one or more disabled persons or the elderly people, the limit is $3,251. Following is the maximum income limit chart that is designed to make it more convenient to understand.
|Household Members||Income Limits/Year|
|For an Additional Member||+ $5,408|
Note: For more accurate information, you should get in touch with the local office. You can apply for the program, even if you are not sure about your eligibility.
How To Apply For South Dakota Food Stamps Program
The South Dakota Food Stamps Program applications are accepted online, via mail and at the local social services office. Here is how one can apply for the program by all three methods:
First of all, you should connect your computer to the internet. Make sure that you are using a stable internet connection and the speed is also good. After that, you should open up whatever web browser you use and follow the simple steps that are mentioned below:
- Open the web page of the online applications by clicking here.
- Look at the right-hand side of the webpage where you will see “GET STARTED NOW” menu.
- Click “Apply for Benefits” link.
- Read the information given on this page, and then click on the “Continue” button.
- Now read the “General Information” and click “Next.”
- The same way, you should go through the “what to expect,” “terms,” “setup,” and “password” options before you start the application.
- You will be asked to sign in or register first. So, create the account or log in with your existing ID.
- After you sign in, the application process will start.
- The first page of the application process will be where you need to enter the “household” information.
- After that, you will be asked to enter the following details on
- Benefits details
- Individual details
- Resources details
- Income details
- Expenses details
- Health insurance details
- Once you have gone through the above-mentioned details, you will see the “Summary” of the information that you have provided. You can edit anything here if you find something that is not right.
- After you pass through the “Summary” page, you will have to go through the “Verification” page.
- At last, just submit the e-Form by following the instructions.
The online application process will take 10-45 minutes, depending on your internet speed and how fast you are moving through the options.
Applications Via Mail And In Person
If you want to apply in person, then you need to file the SNAP application by visiting the local Social Service office. Click here to find out your local office address and other contact information. If you wish to send the application form by mail, then you can download the application form. Fill out the application form, and then mail it to the local Social Service Office. When you visit the local office, then you are required to bring certain items for the application interview. Click here to know what items you would need to bring in the local office.
After the applicant has passed the interview, he will be able to get the benefits within 30 business days. However, one can also get them within seven days through the expedited services. To know about the expedited service, you can call the local office.
The DSS has itinerant and full-time offices and HSC (Human Services Center) that are located in the 63 different communities all across the South Dakota. To find the address and contact details of your local office.